Thursday, August 12, 2010

mountain top

  There are moments in everyone's life that can be considered "mountain top" moments.  I define this as having a feeling of certainty, a time of clarity, and/or feeling the spirit of God wash over you.  Recently, I had all three of these things happen at once. 

Each morning there is an assorted group of friends that meet at 6am to hit the pavement to walk, run or walk and run.  We are all at various stages of athletic ability but usually there are enough of us that we end up being at least paired up for the trek.  Occasionally you may end up by yourself and this particular morning I was alone at the end of the line.  I had been pushing myself to run but was finding it difficult to sustain the pace and of course I was berating myself about being a big, fat slow poke.

 As I topped a hill at about mile 2.5 my eyes were opened and I had my "mountain top" moment.  There standing at the edge of the woods staring at me was a deer.  I never stopped walking but this deer and I just kept looking at each other for what seemed like an eternity.  When it did decide to walk away it wasn't in a hurry but just turned to leave.  When I turned my eyes back to my path I saw the sun coming up over the mountain and it's rays were beaming through the morning clouds.  I felt God's peace wash over me.  I was so humbled and thankful that I began to cry.  Between the tears I began to thank God outloud for all of my many blessings and for allowing me to be out there and be able to take charge of my well being.  No longer did I feel like the fat girl left behind.  I was reminded that I am a daughter of God and He gave me the ability to change my own situation. 

It was that moment that I concluded that it does not matter if I walk, run, hop, skip, jump or spread my wings and fly.  The most important thing is that I am out there putting one foot in front of the other and I am making progress one step at a time.  Let me just say that it feels great!

2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    So many people say to me, "I'm not a writer." Yes, you are a writer--and a wonderful one at that. You captured this moment so vividly, so descriptively, so movingly. It is a beautiful and inspirational story. I got all teary myself! You are good at everything you do. I truly don't think that there is anything in this world that you can't do, and I know you'll reach your goal!
    Lots of love,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erin. That means a lot coming from you.

    ReplyDelete